Road trippin’ with my two favorite allies
Fully loaded we got snacks and supplies
It’s time to leave this town
It’s time to steal away
Let’s go get lost
Anywhere in the U.S.A.
(excerpt from Red Hot Chilli Peppers – Road Trippin’)
I’m so happy that I am travelling to see the husband in Florida again soon… Skype is very useful but it gets old after a while. We only see each other a few times per year so we like to do something special when we meet. I want to go to Disneyland but we can’t really afford it so instead we will be doing a little road trip. We’ve had so much fun before singing along to classic rock on the radio and driving into the sunset, we thought we’d do it again. Nothing like being stuck together in a car for some real bonding.
As we are planning a road trip ourselves, I thought I’d put together a little list of what we ( and you would) need if you are going driving around Florida or anywhere hot, for that matter. So, after you decide on your destination, it’s time to start preparing!
You will need:
- A GPS or a map. We prefer the GPS option as it is so much more convenient and you don’t need to worry about folding it right when you’re done with it.
- Plan your trip in advance and check what might be of interest on the way to your final destination – we’ll be having a picnic in one of the National Parks. It’s cheap and you get to relax close to Nature and see some funny critters.
- A car! We will be driving the Miata but if you’re not local, you can check what car rental is closest.
- Verify the weather forecast – you might want to postpone your plans if a storm is on the way. It’s no fun to be caught in a hurricane, I can tell you (remember my encounter with Sandy in NYC?).
- Wear light clothes even if your car or apartment has AC as you will melt once you set foot outdoors.
- Sunnies and sunblock are a must – the sun can get really strong and if you don’t protect your skin you’ll end up looking like a lobster.
- Stay hydrated – drink plenty of water or natural juices, avoid sugary soft drinks – they rot your teeth!
- Don’t leave the house without applying plenty of mosquito repellent. Take the bottle with you to reapply as needed. Those bloodsuckers are nasty, last year the bite scars lasted for months!
Other than that, just use your imagination! You might want to do a music compilation for driving (did you hear that Mr D?) or get some camping gear if you want to go away for longer than a day. If you’re not a fan of camping, there’s plenty of B&B’s you can stay at for cheap. Stop the car and walk when possible – you will save some gas, you will exercise and have plenty more photo opportunities -there’s lots of great scenery for outfit photos! For more ideas on places to go and what to do, check out the Guardian’s Florida Road Trip live blog here.
Do you have any more suggestions of your own? I’d love to hear them!
It must be so hard living on different continents! Your road trip sounds phenomenal, I’d love to hitch a ride. x
Not easy, no. Soon we’ll be in the same continent and that’ll make things a bit easier 🙂
You’d probably love it in florida, it’s really nice for a holiday!
I am so excited that you get to see Mr. D! Some of my favorite memories of life are driving around eating snacks and listening to tunes. So don’t forget the snacks! M&Ms and little pretzels are my favorite.
Good idea! Snacks sound great, I’ll add those to my list 😀
Oh road trips are the best, and it’s the perfect excuse to bond more 🙂
National Parks – Perfect choice, my worries are the insects, spiders and similar population but a good repellent will do.
GPS is a car’s best friend, really. Make sure you get yours update, or you might wonder where the hell is that roundabout the GPS lady is talking about?
Almost there, U-S-A!
I love it! Wish we could do it more often… I’ve been to a few of the National Parks already and they’re lovely, so many different animals, different plants and landscapes… marvelous!
Not too long to go woohoo!
Sounds hard being so far apart for the majority of the time. Where does your hubby live? Are you starting off in Tampa? I can def give some suggestions!
Ooh, great stuff, I can’t wait to hear what you have to say, we don’t know too many things around there 🙂
I love the idea of an American road trip, I hope you have a wonderful time! xxxxxxxxx